Yong HUANG asked me to post the following here; please post comments/replies here, addressed to him.
Inspired by a similar project that Steve Angle did a few years ago (on which see here, for the original plan, and here, for the outcome), I plan to offer a graduate level course on recent studies of Chinese philosophy in the English speaking world this fall. To have a better focus, I tentatively plan to limit it to Confucian political philosophy. At the end of the semester, each student will be required to write a substantive critical essay on the book he or she chooses to write. I’ll invite those students of high quality papers to do revision until I deem them publishable. Then I’ll invite authors of the books discussed to make responses to these papers. I’ll then seek a publisher to publish these papers, together with authors’ responses, tentatively with the title: Confucian Political Philosophy: The State of the Field.
After a quick search at Amazon, I’ve got the following list of books more or less explicitly devoted to Confucian political philosophy (I don’t include the edited volumes). Here I solicit your help to see whether I’ve missed some other books on Confucian political philosophy published in English since, say, the year of 2000. I’ll be also grateful, of course, if you guys have any other suggestions regarding what I plan to do in this course.
- China – The Political Philosophy of the Middle Kingdom (World Political Theories) Nov 13, 2012 by Tongdong Bai
- Confucian Perfectionism: A Political Philosophy for Modern Times (The Princeton-China Series) Dec 29, 2015 by Joseph Chan
- The China Model: Political Meritocracy and the Limits of Democracy Sep 6, 2016 by Daniel A. Bell
- Democracy in Contemporary Confucian Philosophy (Routledge Studies in Contemporary Philosophy) Jun 19, 2014 by David Elstein
- Contemporary Confucian Political Philosophy Jun 25, 2012 by Stephen C. Angle
- Confucian Democracy: A Deweyan Reconstruction (Suny Series in Chinese Philosophy and Culture) (SUNY Series in Chinese Philosophy and Culture (Paperback)) Feb 26, 2004 by Sor-Hoon Tan
- Against Individualism: A Confucian Rethinking of the Foundations of Morality, Politics, Family, and Religion (Philosophy and Cultural Identity) Nov 14, 2016
- Classical Confucian Political Thought: A New Interpretation Sep 1, 2015 by Loubna El Amine
- Public Reason Confucianism: Democratic Perfectionism and Constitutionalism in East Asia Apr 21, 2016 by Sungmoon Kim
- Confucian Democracy in East Asia: Theory And Practice (2014-02-24) by Sungmoon Kim
- Moral China in the Age of Reform Aug 11, 2014 by Jiwei Ci