Warp, Weft, and Way

Chinese and Comparative Philosophy 中國哲學與比較哲學

Any oriental women philosophers?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Jingcai Ying 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Arc267

Hello, I am looking for philosophy written by women between the 5th and 15th ceunturies. I’m Spanish and I keep a feminist blog about medieval women philosophers – ciudaddelasdamasblog.wordpress.com . I want to extend my area of research to Asia and the Middle East but I have no idea how to find new authors. I don’t know any books, sites, articles or studies on the subject. I can read Portuguese, French, Spanish, Italian and English. If you have any ideas please comment. Thank you so much!

#132980 Reply

Theodore Brooks

I believe, someone correct me please if they know better, that the largest anthology of Chinese women writers in English that covers that period is The Red Brush: Writing Women of Imperial China ed. Wilt L. Idema & Beata Grant, 2004. I haven’t read it so exactly how much philosophy is in there I don’t know.

A little early but there is an English study of Ban Zhao (45–116); Dennis Swann Pan Chao: Foremost Woman Scholar of China, 1932.

However for the medieval period I have a hunch that there will be few Confucian female thinkers (?). Though perhaps there are, like in early modern Europe, important letter writers and correspondences I am entirely unaware of. I Would myself be looking more into Daoist and Buddhist writings.

#132986 Reply

Theodore Brooks

The contents of The Red Brush can be found here: http://digital.wustl.edu/redbrush/browse.html

#132994 Reply

Theodore Brooks

Heian period Japan (794-1185) produced very important women writers such as Murasaki Shikibu, Sei Shōnagon, and Izumi Shikibu. Although they didn’t write philosophy their works are central to Japanese aesthetics.

Long tradition of writing Buddhist nuns, but coming across mostly poetry, anyone know of a philosophically interesting essay or commentary by a medieval nun?

#132995 Reply

Theodore Brooks

Correction: Nancy Lee Swann wrote Pan Chao: Foremost Woman Scholar of China.

#133036 Reply

Paul R. Goldin

We try to avoid using the word “Oriental.” There’s nothing good about it.

#133049 Reply

Justin Tiwald

Check out Under Confucian Eyes, edited by Susan Mann and Yu-Yin Cheng, and Sungmoon Kim’s “The Way to Become a Female Sage: Im Yunjidang’s Confucian Feminism” in the Journal of the History of Ideas 75 (2014).

#133198 Reply

Jingcai Ying
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Any oriental women philosophers?
Your information:

Comments are closed.