Warp, Weft, and Way

Chinese and Comparative Philosophy 中國哲學與比較哲學

Films or Novels related to Comparative Philosophy

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Angle 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Tim Connolly
    Participant

Curious if there are any films or novels or the like that you use in your comparative philosophy courses to illustrate particular ideas, or convey how the issues discussed affect particular people, or just to break up the monotony of the course a bit. All suggestions welcome!

#132867 Reply

Bill Haines

I think this is a great question, and I had been looking forward to the answers. I don’t have any myself. I have used some songs. Once I used (the audio of) Jo Dee Messina’s “I’m Alright” to shed light on Analects 1.1, and I noticed that it brought one student near tears. I think the Monkees’ “Sometime in the Morning” could help communicate Mencius’ concept of humane government. But when (for an upper level Asian Religion class) I offered as a possible alternative final paper question the lyrics of Pink Floyd’s “Wish You Were Here,” I got no takers.

#132976 Reply

Steve Angle
    Keymaster

Just to say: I also think this is a great question and imagine there must be fascinating possibilities, but do not have any suggestions … I am too much of a cultural ignoramus!

And Tim: feel free to place this kind of question as a main post, where it will go out through the FB feed and have more prominence on the site!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Films or Novels related to Comparative Philosophy
Your information:

Comments are closed.