The Association of Chinese Philosophers in America (ACPA) welcomes scholars to submit proposals for individual paper presentations to be considered for inclusion on a single ACPA group session at the 2021 APA Eastern Division Meeting. The group session takes place from January 4-7, 2021 (Monday-Thursday) in New York, NY.
The submission deadline for the paper is: June 15, 2021.
Guidelines for paper/abstract submission:
1.We encourage submissions for individual papers that bring Chinese philosophy into conversation with contemporary discussions in other areas of philosophy.
2. Feel free to submit a 300-500 word abstract, with or without a completed paper attached. If only an abstract is submitted, a complete version of the paper is required at least 30 days before the meeting to provide the session chair and panelists with enough time to prepare for their session. Completed papers should be written in English and not exceed 4000 words. The presentation time for each paper will be approximately 20 minutes.
3. Please let us know if you are simultaneously submitting a separate proposal to other Asian philosophy groups for the same APA meeting.
4. Membership of the ACPA is not required for consideration or acceptance, but we ask that you be a current ACPA member by the time we submit the session information to the APA.
5. Paper or abstract submissions (with your full name/affiliation/email information) and any questions should be sent electronically to ALL three members of the selection committee:
Dr. Suk Gabriel Choi (ACPA, President) Towson University firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Jing Hu (ACPA, Vice President) Concordia University email@example.com
Dr. Mercedes Valmisa (ACPA, Secretary/Treasurer) Gettysburg College Secretary/Treasurer ACPA firstname.lastname@example.org
6. A note from APA regarding Meeting 2021: Note: Currently, all three APA divisions are planning to hold in-person meetings in 2021. At the same time, we are also considering alternative formats, such as virtual meetings, as contingencies in the case that our usual meeting format becomes impossible. Though external forces like the ongoing pandemic affect and inform our plans, your participation is the most critical input for planning any meeting. If you are considering submitting a session request, we encourage you to do so.
Info on the Association of Chinese Philosophers in North America (ACPA) is available here: http://chinesephilosophersacpa.weebly.com
Because of the limited availability of ACPA session in Eastern APAs, they are only considering proposals for individual paper presentations for Eastern APA 2021, not proposals for a complete panel. The APA now limits groups such as ACPA to a maximum of two total sessions at APA meetings. Because the ACPA sponsors a “Dao Best Essay Award” session at the Eastern APA every year, with the participants invited by Professor Yong HUANG and the editorial board of Dao: A Journal of Comparative Philosophy, they will only be able to sponsor a single additional ACPA group session for Eastern APA. Thus, they are inviting only proposals for individual paper presentations, not proposals for a complete panel session. They are open to submissions that engage with Chinese philosophy in a wide variety of ways and they are not specifying a theme for the group session prior to receiving proposals. In addition to the quality of submission, the selection of papers for presentation will be based on how well they can be worked into a good session.