Translated with Commentary by Kurtis Hagen & Steve Coutinho
ISBN 9781554810673 | 448 pages | $34.95
- This sourcebook offers new, precise and accessible translations of the essential texts of early Chinese philosophy, including the Analects of Confucius, Meng Zi (Mencius), Xun Zi, Mo Zi, Lao Zi (Dao De Jing), Zhuang Zi, and Han Fei Zi, as well as short chapters on the Da Xue and the Zhong Yong.
- Translations and explanations of key philosophical concepts are based on the latest scholarship.
- Through extensive annotation and commentary, the book guides readers through the philosophical intricacies of each text.
- Works are incorporated into a narrative regarding the development and interrelationship of Chinese philosophies, not just a collection of independent texts.
- Where appropriate, the translations use inclusive gender-neutral language.
“Kurtis Hagen and Steve Coutinho have crafted the book that many who teach and study early Chinese philosophy have been waiting for. Clear translations, extensive commentary, and important background information make this volume uniquely friendly for students and professors alike.” — Amy Olberding, University of Oklahoma