Dynamic Encounters between Buddhism and the West
“This conference seeks to explore historical and contemporary dialogues between Buddhism and the West, while also contemplating ways of opening up new conversations. With an appreciation of the value of interdisciplinarity, we aim to bring together scholars from diverse fields to both share and enhance their unique perspectives. In today’s era of globalisation, dialogue between different cultures is a daily occurrence. The last century in particular has produced a dynamic exchange of ideas between Buddhism and the West. Important exchanges have occurred in myriad areas of intellectual life, ranging from spiritual endeavours to the pursuit of a scientific understanding of the mind. In Western universities, Buddhist Studies is a growing field, and thus there is a continuous interaction of scholars. In addition, outside of academia, interest in Buddhism as a religion and practice has been steadily growing, along with the number of Buddhist institutions.”
Please send abstract (500 words) and CV to: dynamicencounters2021@
For more information on paper guidelines click here.
(See Paper Topics below)
Possible topics for papers can include, but are not limited to:
- views of Western intellectuals on Buddhism and of Buddhist intellectuals on the West over the course of history;
- similarities and differences between modern approaches to Buddhism and those of the past;
- mutual influence in philosophy;
- artistic expressions: genres, techniques and topics;
- Christianity and Buddhism;
- dynamic encounters in films;
- interculturality in literature;
- issues of comparative jurisprudence between Buddhist legal codes and Western doctrines.